Saturday, January 29, 2011

Postcard from the estuary

As I live in the centre of Britain, it's rare I get to see the sea. And I only caught this glimpse of the tide receding from the Severn estuary out the window of a moving train. I was en route to Cardiff to talk about the River Severn though, so it was good to see it doing what it does best.

For reasons I'm probably one of the few people to find fascinating, the Severn estuary has the second highest tidal range in the world. A whole fourteen meters at best. Yes, that grey shrouded expanse of mud and sand is world class. Give it a break. It's Britain in January; of course it's not looking its best. You should see it when the Bore is ploughing up the channel at high water.

Of course, all you really want to know is where's the biggest in the world if this is second best. Honours go to the Bay of Fundy in Canada. Everything's bigger that side of the Atlantic though. All I care about is that, following postponements to my Christmas plans, I might get a proper trip to the seaside next weekend. Hmm, the British seaside in February...

3 comments:

Timberati said...

Perhaps the Bahamanian seaside in February might be warmer?

Katharine D'Souza said...

Warmer perhaps, but fewer cream teas to be had...
K

Timberati said...

Ah yes, I suppose cream teas do have an edge over rum punch, mai tais, and daiquirís. I suspect the biscuits there are better as well.

Have a great time.