Friday, November 6, 2009

Postcard from Delft


I have a good excuse for the poor quality of this photo: on my trip to Delft I was a little less 'Girl with a Pearl Earring', a little more 'Woman under an umbrella'.  The rain couldn't hide the fact that the old town of Delft is charming though.

I visited for work, but found time for a wander along the cobbled streets which run over and alongside deserted canals and into this, the main market square. At night, illuminated tall windows on the upper floors of the townhouses drew my eyes upwards to admire stylish interior design.  Best not to look for too long though.  The cyclists are fast, silent, and convinced they have right of way.

5 comments:

TARguy said...

Despite your best efforts I'm still not entirely sure where this Delft is.

Glad you had a good time though and weren't struck down by any cyclists (did I ever tell you the story about the time I was almost flattened by a tram in Amsterdam whilst taking a photo; probably best I don't...)

G

Katharine D'Souza said...

Guy, I think you must be the only person who wouldn't just have checked google maps! From Amsterdam head south west, if you hit Belgium or the coast you've gone too far. Delft is on a similar latitude to your part of the world, but is significantly below sea level. A warning though, there are trams as well as cyclists, so: Stop, Look, Listen.

K

Lexi said...

Did I hear an aspersion cast at cyclists? Pesky pedestrians, always stepping in front of one's wheels, usually with mobile clamped to ear...

Where was I? Ah yes, Delft, known for its Delftware, I believe. Lovely photo.

Timberati said...

Lovely photo. Even in the rain.

Katharine D'Souza said...

Hi all, thanks for the comments.

Sorry for the delay in replying, I was sampling the rain in London this time. And, Lexi, I have only one response: pavements are for pedestrians!

There are plenty of other places for venting bike rage though, so I'll turn this page sweet again - anyone tried stroopwafels? Worth the trip to the Netherlands just for a taste of their caramel loveliness.

K