Sunday, April 18, 2010

Postcard from Melbourne

This is the view from the Eureka! Skydeck on the 88th floor of the tallest building in the Southern Hemisphere.  To my ear, it rather spoilt the boast to have to add that '...in the Southern Hemisphere' qualifier.  I liked the view and don't think Melbourne has any need to justify itself by defining its terms.

Like all Aussie cities it's a fairly new looking place where some, um, innovative ideas in architectural design are being indulged; as are some quite strange ideas for public art.  The square cow stranded upside down in a tree didn't add much to the dockside promenade for me.

It's what's going on in Melbourne that matters more though.  From hidden away but buzzing rooftop bars, through exhibitions to international sporting events, there's loads happening.  No need for any qualifiers - I had a great time.

ps Congratulations to Team Flotsam for completing the Oxfam Trailwalker Melbourne 100km challenge.

8 comments:

Lexi said...

What are you up to in Melbourne, K?

I hope the Skydeck has nice high railings...

Katharine D'Souza said...

Hi Lexi
I'm now safely back in Britain after crossing the globe to visit friends and family.

Most of the Skydeck is subject to the kind of boring health and safety rules that have you enclosed in glass. There is a strange box you can stand in which slides out from the building so you feel as if the floor drops out from under you. As I have no fear of heights, I didn't bother to see how thrilling it was. I was there for the view outwards, not directly down.

K

TARguy said...

I have to confess I always like seeing cows (square or otherwise) upside down in trees. Perhpas I need to get out more...

Anyway, great view - and great to see you back also.

G

Katharine D'Souza said...

Perhaps I missed the point of the cow in the tree. Perhaps it was a British cow who was not adjusting well to being 'down under' and had asked to be reoriented.

Timberati said...

the square cow in the tree added only a little more shade.

Katharine D'Souza said...

Profound and poetic, Norm.

Forced to look in to it by the level of interest generated by the cow, I find that the sculpture was inspired by a flood which swept cattle into trees. Not a phenomenon I'm familiar with from my work on floods in Britain. So now I feel bad about the whole thing.

You can see the sculpture here:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM6M4P_Cow_Up_A_Tree_Docklands_Melbourne_Vic_Australia

K

PLJAIKJ said...

K, didn't you mean a British cow not adjusting to being down udder?

Katharine D'Souza said...

Ha ha.

What do you call a grumpy cow stuck in a tree?

Mooo-dy.